Picture overlay is a feature that enhances the view of the map players see. It is a great way to personalize the game and create a unique experience, or even base the full game idea on this feature. Below are seven options to use it in your games. (Linked to more thorough tutorials.)
1) Add more details than google maps have by uploading the custom drawn or orienteering the map. It is useful in forest areas where google has too little details. Also great when you want to add your own info to the map.
3) Use a fantasy map that has little or nothing to do with the reality. Useful when the landscape is easy and familiar for the players. So you can build the themed game around the map and they can move on it.
4) Add a logo or some “object” where players can go to. Useful as an additional puzzle to test the wits of the teams.
5) Under the bubble. It is a game concept where players are surrounded by the “fence” of invisible areas giving a big amount of minus points. So they should not go near the circle surrounding them. Somewhere in the circle there is a crack. But where?A winner finds out, escapes the bubble and gathers more points on the way.
6) Add hidden info set away from the main game area. Useful as an additional puzzle to crack or info that helps to advance in the game.
7) Create an out of bounds area. Useful for adding excitement into the game.