With scavenger game type you can build very flexible games. What makes scavenger game type special is that you can make the locations appear on the map according to specific activation rules.
How does scavenger work?
Players see some of the locations at the start of the game (according to the game creator plans from one to all locations). Scavenger game type can be set up so that in the beginning of the game each team sees only one location or every team sees different location. Questions pop up when player is at the correct location. Other questions which have acitvation rules, will appear on the map according to the timer (minutes from the game start) or after answering certain questions.
How to create a game?
- Add questions.
- Set locations to the questions that are not location-specific.
- Add start field(s) and mark finish.
- Set questions’ activation rules.
- Configure game settings (game name, welcome text, finish text, time limit, language, make start field rotate, overwrite question timers if needed, decide how incorrect answers behave, limit hints and change pin settings).
Create event and you are done!
In Scavenger you can use normal questions which appear on the maps as usual, but in addition to that you can also make questions appear on the map with the help of the activation rules. Activation rules can be set while creating/editing the game, under “Activation” tab.
There are three types of activation rules:
- Time – questions that are activated by the timer, appear on the map when timer runs out. Timer starts counting when the game starts. See the screenshot below, question nr 5 opens with the 5 min. timer. NB! Timer with value of 0 minutes is ignored and act as if the activation is not set!
- Other questions – you can make questions activate the others. When players open up the question by going to the correct location, this will make other question(s) appear on the map. You can use one question to activate number of other questions. See the screenshot, question nr 3 will be activated when question nr 2 is answered.
- Score (in Beta, test before using) – you can make questions appear on the map when teams have reached certain score. Questions can be activated both by positive or negative score. NB! Score activation with 0- values are ignored and act as if the activation is not set!
If the activation rules are set, then questions become visible on the map for the players, according to these rules. Each question can be opened only once. There can be several activation rules set for one question – in this case the earliest action makes the location visible on the map.
Questions without activation rules
If a question does not have any activation rule set, it is visible from the beginning of the game (or will appear right after start fields are taken). On the screenshot question nr 2 and nr 4 are without activation rule. Note that question nr 2 activates nr 3, but 2 is not activated by any other points and therefore does not have activation rule!
Start fields (optional)
In Scavenger there is a possibility to set the start field(s) to show specific point (one or more) in the beginning of the game. You can choose unlimited amount of star fields.
Start field is set while creating/editing the game, just go to „Activation“ tab. There is „S“ behind each question, clicking „S“ marks this question as a start location (it does not have to be the first one on the list).
In Scavenger there are three ways how you can make game start:
a) No start field (S) is defined – all locations without activation rules are visible on the map from the start of the game and can be opened by going there. So players can freely choose which question they want to open first (like in Rogain).
b) Starting points are set – all locations without activation rules will become visible after all points marked as starting points have been answered.
c) Rotating start fields for teams – use in case you want teams to have separate starting fields. To use this functionality, you first need to mark starting points (minimum 2) on “Location” screen, then you have to activate “Rotate start fields” option on “Configure” page. Each team will get separate start field and all locations without activation rules will become visible after this start point is answered.
Finish location acts like any other pin in the sense that it can have the question attached to it. Marking finish is compulsory and only one finish point can be set. Finish can be set while creating/editing the game on “Activation” screen.
Finish becomes visible on the map:
a) When all the questions team can reach are answered.
b) When game time runs out (all the other locations disappear, so finish is the only location visible).
c) According to the activation rules (you can make finish activate by a timer or by other question).
If no activation rules is set for the finish point, it will not be visible until a) all the questions this team could reach are answered; b) game time runs out.
NB! In case finish point is set to become visible by a rule in the middle of the game and players activate the finish question, this will end the game!
NB! No question,including question in finish location can be answered once game time is over.
Brief example of the Scavenger game logic
So on the screenshot, question nr 1 is set to be the start field. In the beginning of the game, only question nr 1 is visible to the players. When start field is answered, questions without activation rules (2 and 4) appear on the map. After question nr 2 is answered, question nr 3 activates and appears on the map. Question nr 6 appears after 5 minutes have been played. As finish point does not have activation rule set, it will appear on the map when all the other questions are answered.
Go to the right locations and questions will open. During the game some questions will appear on the map. Go to any one of them. Once finish appears, you can go to finish to end the game or you can choose to avoid the finish and continue the game. Team who has the most points wins!
What makes Scavenger special:
- You can make questions appear on the map by using the activation rules;
- Questions’ score is shown above the pins (by default);
- If players go to finish during the game, game will end;
- Possible to set start fields and even make them rotate among teams;
- Players can create their own strategy and choose the route where they want to go.
Important to remember!
- Do not make finish visible too early, otherwise, the game is over when players go there. And also remember that you do not have to define starting points.
- If location does not have any activation rules it will be visible from the beginning (or will appear right after starting points are taken).
Check this tutorial out to see how you can make teams move in circle.
this tutorial about how to separate teams at the start of the game