In Loquiz QR and EAN codes (barcodes) work as question activators, which means that they open the questions once the player points the built-in code reader at the QR or EAN code. QR and EAN codes are additional activators – all the regular activators (GPS, iBeacons) still work, but these codes can be used in addition to those.
QR and EAN codes in game types
The QR and EAN codes exact behaviour depends on the game type:
- Quiz – QR and EAN codes cannot be used.
- Clue – QR and EAN codes will open any question visible on the question list. Also, questions that need to be otherwise opened by going to a location or, need a code, will be opened.
- Rogain and Match – all questions that are visible on the map (i.e. are not answered already) can be opened by QR and EAN codes without visiting the locations.
- Scavenger – all the questions that are visible on the map, can be opened by QR and EAN code. The questions that are not on the map (activated by the time or other question), do not activate until they will appear on the map.
- Strategy – only the next question (by the strategy) can be opened using QR and EAN code.
Printing out the QR codes
QR codes are automatically generated for each game, you can choose how many (1, 4, 9 or 16) QR codes are generated on one page. On the QR codes page you will find QR codes and above the code, there is also some extra information: question’s number (order), question’s short intro and regular intro. Use these intros to give extra guidance for the players, e.g. what is the question’s topic.
This is how one printable QR-code looks like:
You can download specific game’s QR codes PDF file by clicking on the game’s name in the “Games” list, game overview info opens up, on the bottom you will find “Download QR codes” link, which you need to click:
Using EAN codes in the games
To use EAN codes in the games you need to connect EAN code with the question. For this you need to know EAN code (numbers). These codes are normally printed on the package of some product and have a different amount of digits (the most commonly used EAN standard is the thirteen-digit).
To connect question with specific EAN code, then while creating/editing the question, go to “Additional settings” tab and under “Instructor comments” write EAN code there (without spaces), for example, EAN:4009300010241 After saving, this EAN code is connected with this specific question.
Note that you can use one EAN code for multiple questions, in this case questions will open one-by-one meaning that you need to scan multiple times to open multiple questions with the same EAN code.
How to use code reader in the game?
In the Loquiz there is built in code reader which you can use to scan QR and EAN codes. Code reader can be opened from the app’s main menu only. To scan the code, player needs to hold the mobile device (smartphone or tablet) over a QR code, so that it is clearly visible on the mobile device’s screen. Then question will open automatically. Note that code scanner still follows the game specific rules – if the question has already been opened or is not yet discoverable, it will not activate. If the code is recognized but the specific question cannot be opened due to game rules, then the player is taken back to the game screen. If code is not recognized, the back button will take the player back to the game screen.