In Loquiz QR codes work as question activators, which means that they open the questions once the player points the built-in QR reader at the QR code. QR codes are additional activators – all the regular activators (GPS, iBeacons) still work, but QR codes can be used in addition to those.
QR codes and game types
The QR codes exact behaviour depends on the game type:
- Quiz – QR codes cannot be used.
- Clue – QR codes will open any question visible on the question list. Also, questions that need to be otherwise opened by going to a location or, need a code, will be opened.
- Rogain – all questions that are visible on the map (i.e. are not answered already) can be opened by QR codes without visiting the locations.
- Scavenger – all the questions that are visible on the map, can be opened by QR code. The questions that are not on the map (activated by the time or other question), do not activate until they will appear on the map.
- Strategy – only the next question (by the strategy) can be opened using QR code.
Printing out the QR codes
QR codes are automatically generated for each game, you can choose how many (1, 4, 9 or 16) QR codes are generated on one page. On the QR codes page you will find QR codes and above the code, there is also some extra information: question’s number (order), question’s short intro and regular intro. Use these intros to give extra guidance for the players, e.g. what is the question’s topic.
This is how one printable QR-code looks like:
You can download specific game’s QR codes PDF file by clicking on the game’s name in the “Games” list, game overview info opens up, on the bottom you will find “Download QR codes” link, which you need to click:
How to use QR reader in the game?
In the Loquiz QR reader can be opened from the app’s main menu only. To scan the QR code, the player needs to hold the mobile device (smartphone or tablet) over a QR code, so that it is clearly visible on the mobile device’s screen. The question will open automatically. Note that QR scanner still follows the game specific rules – if the question has already been opened or is not yet discoverable, it will not activate. If the QR code is recognized but the specific question cannot be opened due to game rules, then the player is taken back to the game screen. If QR code is not recognized, the back button will take the player back to the game screen.