Different games have slightly different settings, but majority of the settings are the same for all the game types. This article explains differences between general and game type specific settings.
To change game, question and pin settings, just go to “Configure” page while creating/editing the game.
1. Game settings
1.1. Game title
This is the name of the game. It is not actually shown to the clients nor on the results pages. It just for inner use only, so make it understandable.
1.1. Intro message (optional)
Intro text is shown as a first thing when game is started. It is also accessible from the game by pressing info button. Use it for game rules, safety notice, instructor phone nr etc. It is possible to add webpage to the intro message. To do it you can use hyperlink – highlight the text and press link icon to add URL. You can also just paste URL to the text.
1.2. Finish message (optional)
Finish text is shown when the game is over. Use it to give instructions for the teams when game is over. Exact behavior depends on the game type:
- Quiz – shown when game time is over or all questions are answered, wherever player is.
- Clue – shown when game time is over or all questions are answered, wherever player is.
- Rogain – only shown when game time is over or all questions are answered an player is physically at finish location!
- Strategy – only shown when game time is over or player has physically reached the finish location.
- Scavenger – shown when player answers finish question and is physically at the finish field.
- Match – only shown when game time is over or all questions are answered an player is physically at finish location!
It is possible to add webpage to the finish message also. You may want to share online results link with the players at the end of the game. To do it you can use hyperlink – highlight the text and press link icon to add URL – or just paste URL to the text.
Game language setting determines in what language the application texts (user interface) in mobile device are shown to the player. All the app help texts (apart of actual question text) is presented in this language. By default all games are in English.
1.4. Tags (optional)
Tags are for filtering purposes only. They are not shown to the players.
1.5. Game time limit (optional)
Allows to set the game time limit. Timer is shown in mobile device on upper right corner.
- Time limit set – countdown timer. When timer reaches zero, then game ends in Quiz and Clue games and end with finish message. In outdoor game when time is over, all pins disappear from the map and only finish location remains visible. Finish question cannot be answered after time is up. When player goes to finish location then finish message is displayed.
- No time limit – count up timer (starts counting time from 0). Game time can potentially go on forever. Game ends when all questions are answered and finish message is shown (Quiz, Clue). In outdoor games, game finish when all questions (including finish question) are answered and player is physically at the finish location (except Scavenger – game ends when player is in finish location and answers finish question, all questions do not need to be answered).
(1.6. Start fields)
Only in Startegy and Scavenger game types you can set the start field(s).
1.6.1. Start field (only in strategy game type)
In strategy start field can be defined:
- Random from 1 to 6 (default) – if this is chosen, then random starting field is assigned to every team from 1 to 6 question (each team has to toss a virtual dice to get their start field). This is to drive teams to different locations in the beginning of the game.
- Specify field – any field can be specified as starting field in strategy game (then all teams have the same starting point).
1.6.2. Start fields [a,b,c,d…] (only in scavenger game type)
In scavenger unlimited amount of starting fields can be chosen (from “Location” screen). On game’s “Configure” page you can make start field rotate between teams (just activate “Rotate start fields” option ) – if this option is chosen, then every team starting will get the separate starting point from the available starting fields. They are assigned in sequence a, b, c … and then again from the start (when there are more teams than start fields) – a,b,c,a,b etc.
NB! Rotate start fields option becomes visible on Game’s “Configure” page only if at least 2 starting fields are marked on Scavenger”Location” screen.
1.7. Allow chatting (optional)
Use to activate chatting functionality between teams and game instructor. More information here.
2. Question settings
2.1. Questions’ time limits
Use to overwrite timers set in questions.
- Questions have no time limits – removes timers from all the questions.
- All questions have a fixed time limit – adds the same time limit in seconds to all the questions in the game. Just insert the time limit in seconds.
- Time limits are question-specific (default) – uses timers set within question (if set).
2.2. Incorrect answers’ points
Control the scoring in case user answers incorrectly.
- Incorrect answers give 0 points (default) – players will not lose any points if they answer incorrectly.
- Incorrect answers give negative points – if players answer incorrectly, they will lose points. Negative points equal the set question score (points that question would give, when answered correctly). It is also possible to make question score negative (e.g. -100) : in this case, both correct and incorrect answers give negative points, if this setting is activated.
2.3. Hints and after answer comments
Controls what additional question data is shown to players.
- Limit hints (when available) – if chosen, then it is possible to limits the amount of hints that players can use within a game. Just insert a number.
- Show if the answer was correct or incorrect (default setting) – shows if the answer was correct or incorrect after question is answered.
- Show after answer comment if available – shows after answer comment depending if answer was correct or incorrect. Shown only when comment is written while creating/editing the question (under the “Comment and clues” tab).
- Show correct answer after user answered incorrectly – displays the correct answer when answer was incorrect.
- Limit fast forwards (strategy game specific) – this will set the limit of how many times player can open the next question without going there physically. By default unlimited but it is possible to set the limit, just insert the number.
3. Pin settings (outdoor games only)
Pins are visible in mobile device on the map. It is possible to adjust, what is shown above the pin:
- Display question order on pin – questions order is shown above location pins on the map. Questions have same numbers as they have in the list of specific game’s “Questions” and “Locations” pages (default setting in Strategy game).
- Display question score on pin – question score is shown above location pin, so players will see how many points they will get when answering question correctly (default in Rogain, Scavenger and Match).
- Display question intro on pin – question short intro is shown above the pin. Short intro need to be set under specific question’s “Comments and clues” tab (otherwise nothing is displayed obove the pin).
- Display nothing on pin – nothing is shown obove the pin, only pins appear for the player on the map.
4. Other settings
Comments are not shown to the player. They are made for game creator, in case anything needs to be marked down about the game.